Dealing with acne is a struggle, and not just something you deal with physically, but emotionally as well! For individuals suffering from acne, breakouts can be a huge damper on their confidence and self-esteem – making them self-conscious about the blemishes on their face and even their body!
Cosmetically, acne blemishes can ruin an otherwise perfect face and complexion. From reddish pink – raised bumps, to whiteheads, blackheads or cysts, acne blemishes can present themselves in a number of different ways.
Dirt, Oils, and Hair Follicles
Acne is generally a product of excess facial oil, known as sebum. The sebum causes dirt, hair, dead skin cells, and bacteria to be trapped within the pores. Hair follicles come from the pores along the face and body and are connected to your oil glands. When the follicle wall becomes inflamed, a whitehead is produced, however, when the follicle opening is exposed to dirt or dead skin cells a blackhead will form. Similarly, when the hair follicle opening is inflamed and is exposed to bacteria – it becomes infected and a red pimple develops. The deeper the infection occurs within the follicle, the more cystic the acne becomes.
What Triggers Breakouts?
Many assume acne is caused by greasy foods, and while this may not wholly correct, certain lifestyle habits can indirectly act as a trigger and aggravate or cause a breakout. The most common acne triggers are:
- Hormonal Changes – Hormones known as androgens cause the sebaceous glands to enlarge, and create excess sebum (oil). The production of these hormones, is common during puberty for both men and women. In addition, the hormonal changes that occur for women during pregnancy or through the use of birth control, are also known to increase sebum production.
- Diet – While foods don’t directly cause acne, our diet has a lot to do with our overall health as well as the production of certain hormones within the body. Indirectly, certain foods, like – milk/dairy, carbohydrates, as well as sugary chocolates are known to make acne worse and can trigger breakouts.
- Stress – Stress produces cortisol and other harmful hormones within the body. These hormonal changes cause breakouts.
- Medications – Acne can also be caused by the use of certain drugs, both prescription and non-prescription.
Acne Risk Factors
- Age – Acne can occur at any age, however it is far more prevalent in those in their teenage years.
- Genetics – Acne has a lot to do with family history; if your parents and grandparents suffered from acne breakouts than it is far more likely for you to as well.
- Greasy Products – One of the major factors known to contribute to the proliferation of acne is the use of lotions or skincare products with grease or oils known to clog up pores and hair follicles.
- Hormones – Most common for teenagers, women, and girls – when going through periods of change and development, experience hormonal imbalances that lead to acne.
- Physical Irritations – When your skin comes into contact with items that may cause friction or unclean surface – like phones, straps on a bag, hats, or headbands – these areas are far more susceptible to acne.
- Lifestyle – Those living a high stress life, or working in a high-pressure environment are far more likely to suffer acne issues than those who do not.
For more information about acne treatment, be sure to contact us today.
Our Clients Say
Amazing facial! This is by far the BEST facial treatment in all of NYC. The staff was personable and customized the skin care routine to my skin type. There was a “little bit of everything” from hydration, extractions, cleansing to even the hydaworks machine. I was so relaxed and afterwards my face was glowing. I think I found my forever home for all of my skin care needs. PS -Ask for Cornelia she is so sweet and works her magic! — Review 1
Cornelia was great! Very relaxing facial. There is only one treatment room, so you wait outside before your appointment. The room felt clean, peaceful, and private. She asked me what I wanted out of the facial, walked me through what she was going to do, and then let me enjoy and relax in quiet during the facial. At the end of the treatment she gave me some tips for my skin and said she would be happy to recommend some products they sell, but was not pushy at all about selling things to me, which is always appreciated! — Review 2
Cornelia is Amazing! She is very thorough with her extractions and I appreciate customization based on my skin type and concerns that I had with acne. So far I see big difference! My skin is Glowing!!! Definitely booking again with Acne Treatment Center! You guys are amazing — Review 3
I have been coming to Acne Treatment Center for over 4 years! Well Cornelia saved my skin from acne, i was extremely insecure about my dark spots. But with constant visits and the care of her my dark spots have lightened tremendously. Cornelia is so patient and listens to all the problems i had and treated it accordingly. Lastly, the price point!!! They are extremely affordable especially being located in the city. I love this place, affordable, relaxing and extremely caring. What more could i ask for !!! Thank you for everything — Review 4
My whole life I been struggling with acne and hyperpigmentation. I went to doctors and dermatologists and no one has been able to transform my skin in the way that the Acne Treatment Center has been able to help me. You have to have discipline and really follow the advice of the esthetician’s to see an amazing difference and difference in my skin. — Review 5