Acne is one of the most common skin conditions affecting both adults and children across the world. Most of us think acne is something that’s exclusive to our teenage years, but in reality, acne issues are just as common in adults as thy are in teens – with nearly 50% of the world dealing with some form of acne.
Different Types of Acne
An important thing for patients to understand is that not every case of acne is the same, and depending upon your specific symptoms, acne issues aren’t always made the same. Therefore, in order to properly treat patients for their acne issues, we must first schedule a skincare consultation. During you consultation, we will carefully examine your acne and determine the proper course of treatment for you. This process may also require some trial and error, using multiple different methods of treatment.
Acne Treatment Options
At the Skin Center we can offer a variety of different acne treatment options – common methods include:
- Topical Solutions
This can be topical creams, lotions, cleansers, scrubs, toners, or soaps. Most of these topicals are meant to reduce the presence of oil, and exfoliate the skin of dead skin cells, bacteria, dirt, & debris. Many topical creams and lotions contain medicated substances such as retinoids, benzoyl peroxide, or salicylic acid.
Medications work to cure acne from within the body, by reducing bacterial infections or inflammation, stifling hormonal changes, and more. Common types of prescription medication for the treatment of acne are:
- Antibiotics – Reduce infections & inflammation.
- Birth Control or Oral Contraception – Enacts hormonal changes or balance in women.
- Isotretinoin – Prescription treatment for severe acne and painful red marks, and cysts. Accutane is a popular brand name.
- Procedures & Treatments
One of the best means of treating your acne is through skincare procedures performed by your dermatologist. Some of the most common treatments we offer are:
- Chemical Peels – Specially formulated medical-grade peels that can treat moderate to severe acne cases and improve the skin’s overall health and aesthetic appeal.
- Laser Treatments – Laser and light therapy treatments are highly effective for all forms of skincare, especially acne treatment. They can reduce bacteria, as well as resurface your skin – alleviating acne blemishes, & acne scars – while stimulating the production of vital skincare compounds like collagen & elastin. Also causes cellular turnover meaning new skin cells take the place of old, dead skin cells.
- Manual Acne Removal – Made famous by online “pimple-poppers”, dermatologists will manually drain and evacuate acne cysts, and pimples – removing the inner pus, dirt, debris, blood, and bacteria.
- Dermal Fillers & More – Using fillers like Bellafill, we have been able to treat a variety of acne and skin blemish issues in adult patients.
For more information on all of our acne treatment options or to schedule a consultation, be sure to contact the Skin Center New York today.